Boost 4.0 is the biggest European initiative in Big Data for Industry 4.0 and will lead the construction of the European Industrial Data Space to improve the competitiveness of Industry 4.0 and will guide the European manufacturing industry in the introduction of Big Data in the factory, providing the industrial sector with the necessary tools to obtain the maximum benefit of Big Data. The main objectives comprise:
- Global Standards: Contribution to the international standardization of European Industrial Data Space data models and open interfaces aligned with the European Reference Architectural Model Industry 4.0 (RAMI 4.0).
- Secure Digital Infrastructures: Adaptation and extension of cloud and edge digital infrastructures to ensure high performance operation of the European Industrial Data Space; i,e, support of high-speed processing and analysis of huge and very heterogeneous industrial data sources.
- Trusted Big Data Middleware: Integration of the four main open source European initiatives (Industrial Data Space, FIWARE, Hyperledger, Big Data Europe) to support the development of open connectors and big data middleware with native blockchain support in the European Industrial Data Space.
- Digital Manufacturing Platforms: Open interfaces for the development of big data pipelines for advanced analysis services and data visualization supported by the main digital engineering, simulation, operations and industrial quality control platforms.
- Certification: European certification program of equipment, infrastructures, platforms and big data services for their operation in the European Industrial Data Space.
The BOOST 4.0 vision is that by 2023 Europe will establish the global standard on the manufacturing data economy, will host a hyper-connected and highly dynamic industrial data-driven ecosystem for manufacturing, that European industry will lead the development of smart data-driven services on top of leading European digital platforms and cross-border data spaces and that European factories will become world leaders in digital manufacturing processes with strong cross-sectorial data value chains. The pilots are led by market leaders (AutoEuropa, FIAT, VW, Gestmap, VOLVO, BETELER, Philips, Whirlpoool, Fill) and performed in cooperation with their extended ecosystems to conform a big data value chain that extends the full data lifecycle.
TTTech Industrial AG together with TTTech will contribute to the project by developing and providing the edge computing platform (NERVE) as central technology in the large-scale lighthouse pilot at FILL GmbH. Together with FILL GmbH, RISC and Visual Components a digital manufacturing platform is build up, able to aggregate, analyze machine data in real-time via different technologies like OPC-UA over TSN. TTTech will develop methods and technologies for the edge computing platform to enhance real-time machine control close to the machine. These methods are designed to scale for the envisaged Big Data Factory applications in the project Boost 4.0.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 780732.